Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Man in the Mirror

Hi all, I just finished reading Bern's most recent reflections on the Beatles song so I was inspired to do a song study too! Turns out I'm not going to because the song I chose was a horrible song. This song is "Man in the Mirror" sung by Michael Jackson. At first, it seems like a pretty innocent song. I mean, it IS about helping others and it says that in order to make a change in the world, one must start with him/herself, hence "the man in the mirror".

But the more you hear into it, the ideas for helping people is very self-reliant. What's missed here is the recognition that God is in control. Any change that you want to do won't happen unless God allows it. Have a sense of humility when serving! One thing I noticed while collecting donations at school is that sometimes there's a sense of pride when donating. There shouldn't be this attitude of superiority. People should be donating out of love, not because it's going to make them "feel real good"! I'm sort of disappointed in this song. It's really catchy, but the lyrics and the way the song is presented is so that it'll make people feel good about making change. We should be starting with Jesus first and making change according to God's will! I don't think we should be "starting with the man in the mirror" (ourselves), unless of course, the man we're looking at is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment